Four powerful ideas guaranteed to help you learn to sing betterListed on May 25, 2015 in Blogs!
People are always asking me how they can learn to sing. Everyone is already a singer of course, but it’s always possible to learn how to sing better.
Here are four simple but powerful ideas that will help you be a better singer, whether you sing in a choir or a band or are a soloist.
I’ve written many articles about how you can learn to sing or how to be a better singer (I’ll put links at the bottom of this post if you want to find out more). But in this post I want to look at four really simple ideas that I believe are the key to helping you sing better.
Each of these ideas may seem very simple, but if applied properly they are extremely powerful and will help you learn to be a better singer.
- trust – in your fellow choir members, in the rest of your band, in the time you’ve spent practising, in your audience (they’ve come to listen to you), in your teacher or conductor, in your own abilities, in your technique, in all those long rehearsal hours.
- act the part – however you feel about your own voice or the song you’re singing or the group you’re in or your own talent, just behave as if you know what you’re doing and are great at it. The rest will follow. That’s all that confidence is.
- listen – the secret to great singing lies with the ears and not with the mouth. Listen to the other singers around you, the backing track or instrumentalists, the way the overall sound fills the space. Prioritise your ears over your voice.
- focus – be in the moment and stop worrying about how well you’re doing. The easiest way to do this is to focus outwards and not inwards on yourself. Focus on communicating with your audience, or blending with the singers around you, or pitching your voice accurately against the other harmonies, or hearing all the voices and all the instruments.
Don’t try to apply these all at once. Try one at a time until it becomes second nature.
You’ll definitely end up being a better singer – I guarantee it.
other useful posts
Here are some of the other posts I’ve written that can help you learn to improve your singing. Just click on the title to read the post.
- Do you need singing lessons in order to sing?
- How do I know if I’m singing in tune?
- Why can’t I sing?
- Singing is all about listening
- Learning to love the sound of your own voice
- How to enjoy singing and not worry what others think
- How to be a confident singer
- “Everyone can sing” – what the hell does that mean??!!
- How to improve your singing voice
- Can I call myself a ‘singer’?
- The secret to great singing that teachers don’t tell you
- The only thing stopping you from being a better singer is …
- What to do if you don’t have a ‘nice’ voice
- When you sing, forget everything you’ve ever learnt
- How to sing – the definitive guide
- How to sing – 10 habits of successful professional singers
- Want to develop your voice and sing better? Be silly and play!
- Want to sing but are scared of being judged? Here’s what to do
- Is how you label yourself as a singer holding you back?